Tuesday, February 5, 2008

On Death and the Life of a Dog (12/9/07)



"Momma said dying...is a part of life....I sure wish it wasn't." -Forrest Gump

I couldn't agree more. I sure wish there was a less painful way to go to Heaven. Of course, it's not painful for the one who is going home to Heaven, but for us down here....it's unimaginable pain until you experience it.

On a slightly different note....I want to talk about my dog. I love my dog, Sammy. He reminds me of my dad...now I know this sounds odd. He is a dog, my dad was a human. It's not looks or anything....it's the memories. My dad used to talk for Sammy in a high pitched voice. He pretended Sammy got kicked out of the cheese factory for biting a security guard in the butt. I realize how childish and stupid this sounds, but it was funny when my dad talked for Sam. He gave Sammy a personality. My dad always said I was Sammy's favorite, but that's not true. My dad was the one who took Sammy on walks all the time, and whenever my dad would come home from his travels, Sammy wouldn't only wag his tail...he wagged his whole butt. And every night, before my dad went to bed, he would bring Sammy into my room and say, "It's time to clock in Sambo (or Mr. Sam)"

So, I was thinking about all this as I was petting Sammy today, and I started to wonder if Sammy remembers my dad...Does he think he is still going to come home? Did he forget about him because he hadn't seen him for so long? Does he miss him? I realize anyone who reads this is going to think I'm a freak, because dogs don't have feelings and all that crap, but I beg to differ. I know in the first few weeks after my dad's death, Sammy missed him, because he would just sit and wait in front of the door that my dad always came through after work. I just wonder if he has forgotten by now, or if he still hopes for him to come home. I love my dog. My daddy sat us all down one day and asked us if we would be responsible enough to take care of a dog, and we all quickly said yes. I figure I was the most excited. Anyway, i'm just kind of rambling on....but I was just thinking about all that.

No comments: