Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Recognizing, Missing, and Taking Advantage of Opportunities (10/27/07)

Well, I just want to share that God is really cool, and if you don't agree with me, watch for Him and the way He works, and you will see. You will see.

Last weekend, as I was doing my usual chores, I remembered I needed to take the recycables out. So, I slowly and groggily loaded them up in my car on Saturday morning(they were overflowing). Anyway, I dumped them off and dodged a couple hundred bees. On my way home, I passed a man who's car had broken down. It looked as if it had just happened, and he didn't have out a cell phone. Of course, I felt a little tug inside of me. That little angel on my shoulder was saying, "Kelly, you know you should pull over." But the little devil on my other shoulder persuaded me otherwise. I rationalized with myself and decided that I just had too much to do and it simply wasn't safe to offer my services to an older guy. "Come on, Kelly." That's what I was really thinking underneath it all. I knew I should have helped that guy. I know God wanted me to help that guy. I know it like I know two plus two equals four. So, ashamed, I went before God and asked Him to forgive me and continue to give me more opportunities where I can spread His love. Then, that night I read a verse: "Be careful then, how you live-not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil." Ephesians 5:15. I knew I passed up a wonderful opportunity to be a good example and spread God's love. I decided that night to start making the most of every opportunity.

So, last week, on a sunny drive home from my internship at Bashor Home for Children, I was feeling sad and grateful as usual after leaving Bashor. The weather was nice, as I mentioned. I only had to get home to babysit, but my mom was watching the girls until I got there. I was in no rush. I didn't need to be in a rush. So all the sudden, I look up ahead to the left of me, and I see a guy who's hay bales fell off of his truck. He was frantically rolling them off the road, out of oncoming traffic, but I notice there were still about five left on the road. All I had to do was pull over and offer to help roll them off the road. I'm sure he was in more of a hurry than I was. Unfortunately, I drive past and decide it would be too awkward to turn around. WHAT?! I didn't go help someone because it would be awkward. Who do I think I am?! That's ridiculous. Then, I remembered the verse in Ephesians. I was furious with myself for passing up another blatantly obvious opportunity to help someone out of love. I missed making the most of every opportunity. Who knows if that guy knew Jesus or not, but if he didn't, how cool would it have been if I could help spread the Word? And even if he did, I could have made a new Christian friend. But I was stubborn, selfish, and stupid.

That night, I got down on my knees, once again, in shame, I prayed again that God would continue to send me opportunities to spread His love, and I promised I would grasp them and take advantage of every one He sends my way. Later that week, I went and visited my brother at college. We had a little over an hour alone, and I knew I needed to talk to him about some stuff, but I was afraid. I didn't want him to be mad at me, but I knew God knew I needed to talk to him, and God gave me this perfect opportunity. I would have been a fool to pass that up. So, finally, I put myself out there, and I talked to him about some things that had been on my heart. Well, that felt good. Thank you, God.

On the drive home from Taylor, I was feeling sad, lonely, and depressed. The weather was drizzly and gray. It wasn't even stormy cool, it was just gray and depressing. I wanted to cry. Tears welled up in my eyes, and I got that lump in my throat. I prayed to God to deliver me from these feelings. Then, a song came on that I had recently taken a liking to, the lines that i love say "Sing a song of hope, sing along. God of Heaven come down, Heaven come down. Just to know you are near is enough, God of Heaven come down, Heaven come down." This song came on, and I turned it up and belted it out. I sang a song of hope in a time of desperation. I let the tears pour out, and chills covered my arms and legs. I felt the Holy Spirit moving in me. Even the atmosphere of the van changed. The air was electric, I knew God's presence was filling me and all the space around me in that van. I changed right there. That was one of the most spiritual experiences I have ever felt. It was awesome, and I knew it was only going to get better.

Thursday night of the next week came, and the infamous tornado hit in Nappanee and brought along my friend devastation. The sights are sad. One of my best friends lost her house, but she's doing quite alright. She has had lots of help and prayers. Everyone has. It's amazing that no one died. Only six injuries that I know of. So anyway, today I had the opportunity to help clean up in Nappanee. Though I was tired, and I cherish my Sunday afternoon naps, I knew I would be passing up one of God's obvious opportunities to help if I didn't go. So, I went. I waited in traffic for 40 minutes and waited to go to my destination for a long time. Then, I trudged through a corn field picking up shingles and chunks of metal for a couple hours. It was hot, sticky, prickly, and dirty in that corn field. And I loved it. I have a new love for helping in any way. Though I complained about the prickly things, (Derick, Toby, Steve, and Emily can vouch for that), it was great. I am so glad God opened my eyes and my heart. I am so glad I am beginning to recognize the obvious opportunities God puts in front of me every day. I feel His rewards, constantly, big and little. I love Him, and I love His people, and I love helping His people.

No comments: